The name Cacapon is thought to be derived from a Shawnee word meaning “medicine waters”, which referred to the Cacapon River. The area that became Cacapon was logged and converted to small farms early in its history, but by the early 1930s, these “truck farms” were no longer economically viable and families were selling the land for pennies an acre. The Civilian Conservation Corp built many of the original cabins and other amenities, and the park opened to the public in 1937. The photos below show CCC workers putting the roof on a cabin, a CCC team posing in front of the Old Inn, and the barracks that housed the CCC workers, which no longer exist.
Located near the highest mountain in the eastern panhandle and within easy driving distance of eastern population centers, Cacapon became a popular destination almost immediately. Construction continued after the park opened, with the lodge built in the 1950s and the golf course added in the 1970s. Today Cacapon State Park is a major economic contributor, with an economic significance of $11,072,324 in 2015. Like many parks with older buildings, the facilities at Cacapon have needed modernization. Projects in the past couple years have focused on things like kitchens and HVAC units in the Old Inn, and this work will likely continue in the years to come.