Written by our Americorps Heritage Vista, Alicia Erjavec. This past weekend I attended an annual conference & meeting hosted by the West Virginia Association of Museums (WVAM) in Fayetteville, West Virginia. The purpose of the conference was to serve, educate, advocate for, and enhance communications within the museum community, which was played into the theme […]
Join Us For History & Eco Tours!
Click on this poster to get information and RSVP for the July 16 “Shootout at the Depot” program in Parsons
Volunteer With Us!
We are building a circle of love and protection around the landscapes and communities that we cherish.
Friends of Blackwater works to protect and promote natural beauty, diverse creatures, unique heritage, and the outdoor recreation economy in the Mid-Atlantic Allegheny Highlands -- home to the magnificent, 10,000-acre Blackwater Canyon – West Virginia’s “Scenic Crown Jewel.” Our professional staff and grass-roots citizen advocacy are a strong force for responsible conservation and sustainable progress in the Highlands.
FOB in the Newsroom
- 5/20/22 Cumberland Times: Federal funding will help build new regional trail
- 5/19/22 Crngressman David Trone: $1.2 Million in Federal Funding for the Blackwater Loop and Appalachian Regional Heritage Trail Project
- 5/19/22 WCBC: $1.2 Million in Federal Funding for the Blackwater Loop and Appalachian Regional Heritage Trail Project
- 5/18/22 The Intermountain: Wonders of Water camp coming to Davis
- 5/17/22 Charleston Gazette: $1.2M Appalachian Regional Commission grant will complete Blackwater Loop Trail
- 5/16/22 The Intermountain: Tucker’s Blackwater Loop Trail project receives $1M grant
- 5/12/22 WBOY Clarksburg: New trails aim to boost Tucker County tourism
- 3/23/22 Parsons Advocate: FOB Call To Action On Upper Cheat Timber Project
- 3/11/22 Senator Manchin NCCC Press Release
- 11/10/21 Parsons Advocate: NCCC helps Friends of Blackwater and the West Virginia Land trust
- 6/08/21 Parsons Advocate: Restoring the Blackwater Trail
- 6/07/21 Parsons Advocate: Volunteers Celebrate Earth Day with Camp 70 Road Cleanup
- 5/28/21 Parsons Advocate: Blackwater River Loop Trail Gets Support
- 2/15/21 Parsons Advocate: MKL Weekend food drive raises $5600 for Tucker Food Banks
- 1/09/21 The Intermountain: FOB Thanks Legislators for New River Gorge Designation
- 11/04/20 Parson's Advocate: New Illustrated Signs Highlight Heritage in Davis and Thomas
- 11/02/20 States of Leading News: Governor Justice awards $8.6 million in TARTP Grants in West Virginia
Friends of Blackwater is happy to announce that we are now offering eco-tours of the Allegheny Highlands! The Allegheny Highlands of West Virginia are a biodiversity hotspot for the entire globe! There are southern species here that reach the northernmost point of their range here as well as northern species that reach the southernmost point […]
Friends of Blackwater was lucky enough to receive another National Civilian Conservation Corps Team (NCCC) during the month of March. The crew consisted of 9 individuals who were all hard-working and willing to get the job done. They worked on a number of projects; clearing/ opening more historic coke ovens, clearing moss off the historical […]